Santiago Chile to Mendoza Argentina

From Santiago I decided to ride straight over to Mendoza Argentina.  I didn't really want to go there, as it was the last place Kevin and I decided to meet on his way down here before he died.  Mendoza is wine country and we thought it would be fun to meet there to enjoy the wineries.  So going there alone did not appeal to me at all.  However it is the perfect distance for one day riding from Santiago.

I've been warned that fuel in Argentina is sporatic.. Sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't.  So I fill up just before heading up into the Andes in Chile.


Not long after, I reach Paso Internacional Los Libertadors.  Pretty fun road!



It's getting rather chilly, so I'm checking the gps for elevation.  Here is 3086 meters.




Sporting that Scottish flag Kevin gave me on the top of my pannier.  It's the only flag on my bike from a land I have never been to, and I'm only too glad I have it now.  I will wear it and ride on in honor of Kevin's home land.

Eventually making my way to the border crossing of Argentina.




This is a unique one.. enclosed! And it was quick and easy, which is a super huge bonus.  The immigration officials were really nice.  With all three bonuses at this border, it will be remembered as one of the best crossings.


Welcome to Argentina.


This road is surprisingly beautiful.. some photos of the day.





Remnants of an earthquake?


Only in a small settlement lives a bit of green..





These water bottles are around a road side memorial.  I see them often.  I found a great webpage that describes the story better than I could, here is the link:  Roadside Memorials Water bottles
There are two memorials here, swallowed by the bottles.  One red roof and and one white.




I arrived Mendoza to a pre-planned place to stay.  This hostel has a Tibetan theme and I liked the colors.  The room that the owner put me in only has a curtain, no door..


I'm going to have heaps of Tibetan children looking down on me while I sleep!


And the other view from my bed is Brad Pitt from his days making the movie "7 Days in Tibet".


It's nearly winter in Mendoza and quite chilly.  There are no blankets on the bed.  I could go get my sleeping bag, but I thought it would be easier to just ask for a blanket.  The owner had sat with me for a while and I told him a little bit about the recent events of Kevin being killed.

Still no blanket, the owner comes through the curtain.  "Do you want to sleep in my room?"  No, I said, just a blanket will do.  He came back a few minutes later.  "Why don't you sleep in my room?"  I said I'm happy here, just a bit cold.  I will go get my sleeping bag.  He said, "Look, you are single, I am single, I can help keep you warm".  ???????????????  I nearly blew up, and he knew it.  The look on my face said it all, but I still muttered, "Get out..."

I didn't sleep well that night, worried he might come back in, but he didn't. I really wish I had a door I could lock. What a cheeky guy! And, I never would have guessed by the look of this place that this would be my experience here.

So Mendoza is quite a popular spot to visit in Argentina, very well known for it's wineries.  I knew I didn't want to come here without Kevin, but last night confirmed, I just want to go. I left really early in the morning before anyone was awake. I hope a few loud revs of my motorcycle in the garage sent a message as well.

1 comment:

  1. The trip must have been amazing...and fun! That road looks like a giant snake...from afar.

    ReplyDelete