Wisconsin to South Dakota

Straight after visiting Indiana, I make my way up to Wisconsin.  I found a place online that has my favorite tires, and lucky that they specialize in custom design KTM parts!

I just went there for my tires as they are not available in Indiana. You know I've always had issues with my side stand, and Craig from CJ Designs http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/LC8parts.html has created an adjustable side stand for his 950 that might just do the trick for mine too.



 Good looking, isn't it?


Craig thought I should give his KTM 950 Adventure a try, it's so BIG and heavy!! Noooooo.. I feel better not to destroy his creation today..and stick to my little one. ;-)

A most interesting day, where I managed that night to spill the slightest amount of beer on my new laptop.  It spazzed out and died, that quick. I bought it in Indiana, but I took it to the shop in Wisconsin to see what I can do to fix it.  They immediately tell me that liquid spillage is not covered under warranty or insurance.  I totally understand, but I still need to get it fixed regardless.  The guys goes out the back room and returns and says they are going to send it away and fix it for free..!  What?  I can't believe it, but the guy looks at me and says, "this computer is only 7 days old".. I know. I was gutted and embarrassed, but so lucky to meet this guy.

So, bigger longer story short, I went back down to Indiana only a few hours away, got my old computer to travel with while the new one is sent away for a couple weeks.  And then make a b-line to South Dakota to try to get back on schedule.



I was totally diggin' that cloud! I watched it for the remainder of the day.. seems so out of place! Never really moved, just stretched.  I must study meteorology, have always wanted to..

First most interesting stop was the Badlands..  I had no idea there was a place in America with that name.  What's the story, why that name? Is it safe to go there??

This is what I eventually learn from Wikipedia:

A badlands (also badland) is a type of dry terrain where softer sedimentary rocks and clay-rich soils have been extensively eroded by wind and water. It can resemble malpaís, a terrain of volcanic rock. Canyons, ravines, gullies, hoodoos and other such geological forms are common in badlands. They are often difficult to navigate by foot. Badlands often have a spectacular color display that alternates from dark black/blue coal stria to bright clays to red scoria.



I'm in the land of the prairie dog!!  Local residents..rodents..I want to shake their little hands!





Nobody around, I spot another local..



He seems friendly enough, but still chooses to make a little more distance between us.. don't jump!



My Badlands National Park campsite and my continuously failing Nemo Morpho tent!

 

From the Badlands I move on to a camp outside Custer State Park.. where along the way,  I spot this!


Mt. Rushmore


I just realized George Washington and I could be related... we have the same nose! ;-)









I heard a rumor that Sturgis is on this weekend, right up the road from my camp. Didn't plan to be here for that, but since it's happening, might as well check out one of the largest bike meetings on the planet!


I met this fun couple at the wolf camp I was staying, Killer and Dee, who invited me to come and tour around the event with them.




Excuse me, Ma'am.. what is that you're ridin'?


I had to stare at that sign for a while.. was thinking, no colors?  Does that mean you can only wear black in this bar?   Until somebody explains to me that colors is slang for "gang" wear, which seems to cause trouble, shooting and killings at past Sturgis events... okey dokey then!



He calls himself "Snuff Man"... here from Germany

There's a BMW here! 

Here's the board in a bar so you can mark where you came from.. Adelaide was looking pretty healthy, I was surprised!



So, tell us how you really feel...!!

My favorite side stand..

My bike is down there if you can spot it.

These guys did.. who seem to have known a bit about my trip..and gave me a huge congratulations once I got to the bike, I was embarrassed and surprised ;-)


After riding around a large part of this planet, I finally find where I belong!!!

I'm home!
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are enjoying the old USA, nice pictures. You have visited just about every place I went through last year. Check out my blog entry here: http://goo.gl/EVqUd I even took a picture of the rattlesnake sign :-)
    Ha ha, love the last picture but I don't think it's for you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snuffman's real name is Eckardt Albrecht. He's in the isle of man ATM and visits often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pix Crazy Woman Sherri Jo! I'm a South Dakota Native (born and raised), but also spent 22 years getting webbed feet in rain soaked Seattle, WA (not Western Australian....=8(. I'm also a KTM rider (2008 - 990 Adventure). Where is it you hale from anyway? I haven't dug that far into your blogs to find out yet.

    Keep The Throttle Cracked!

    Brad Jensen

    ReplyDelete