Santorini Greece

Wow.. Athens was so amazing.. wonder what my next stop to the Island of Santorini (Thira) will be like? 

Turned out to be the exact opposite of my Athens experience.. which again, was more about the people I met, not the location..

During my stay on Santorini, I didn't have much to do with people at all.. it was all about the location!
 

I have heard about Santorini as being one of the best islands to visit in Greece for many many years..  and it also seems that every bit of publicity and marketing for Greece shows the famous white houses on the cliffs here.  They really are everywhere!  And so good looking with the ocean blue.. and spring flowers.



White church at Red Beach, Santorini - all over the island is black volcanic rock and pockets of red lava rock.  It's hard to show, but the white church against the black rock I liked, but also just below here is the beach in red!  


I agree with the reasons the people love it so much here.. I have been to many islands in my life, and this one is very unique and extraordinary! However, I really don't have much to say (in writing) about the island.  I can simply show you around with plenty of photos.  So this will be a lazy blog post.. but I hope you enjoy the pictures!



Perissa (Black) Beach, Santorini

This guy looked really sad to me.. 

Another donkey looking quite sad (the one the man is on..)  But the other is quite spunky!!  Get outta the way!! It's certainly a way of life on the island, I pass many men on donkeys as part of their work day.


Oia (pronounced ee-ah)

My evening walks around Finikia Oia...

Original cave house on the property I am staying.. 

Oia cave houses which have been renovated into accommodation, are one of the main tourist attractions.. so it was good for me to see one of the originals as well.

New babies.. really friendly, I spent a fair amount of time with these guys..

The island is only 90 km2 all up.. so I covered it enough times in 3 days.. I learned that I couldn't last long on a small island.  I loved Santorini, very beautiful as you can see..defintely the right choice! But I felt a bit trapped by space and was ready to move on.




Maybe if I had a boat! "If I had a boat,  I'd go out on the ocean, and if I had a pony, I'd ride him on my boat.."  - Lyle Lovett








































Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. Great photos. I am amazed at your trip. Something I would love to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beside the beautiful scenery, I noticed your 690 looks so shiny new after all this time. One more happy donkey. Or pony.

    thx
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always - love your photos! Especially the donkeys of course ... ;-) Love your travels through Europe, it's sooooo good to see those photos! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete